Monday, January 3, 2011

Shifting through the desert sands...

...but my head's in New York City! One of my highest points of 2010 was visiting New York for the first time in over 30 years. The energy, diversity, and power of the city is nothing short of awesome. I only got a couple quick stabs into Manhattan but that buzz has lasted quite a while. My 2nd trip in was the one that was really special. My first time in that city alone, to go which ever way I chose. After coming out at the temple that is Madison Square Garden, I ventured north towards Times Square. Taking pictures left and right, just busting at the seams. Found my way into Roxy Delicatessen and behind the wheel of a sandwich with a full pound of Pastrami. How am I gonna eat this thing? I slayed what I could and it was worth every bite. I then ventured into the Hard Rock. Hard Rock NYC... damn... I was on a tight schedule (get back to Jersey before dark) so I just looked around at all I could without having to go into the dining area. First, I ran across the guitar wall. It's comprised of nothing but Gibson bodies. Alright, let's get a picture of that. Nice sofa over here to kick back on to get some perspective... A few hits and misses later, I got my shot. Cruised around some more and found lots of metal stuff. Eeh... not really a big metal fan. Then, there was the Beatles stuff. They have the collarless suits, with the band's TWA bags (guessing from their first tour).




And just past that is the acoustic guitar George Harrison used during his Concert for Bangladesh in 1971 at MSG. I then wandered out to the gift shop to purchase the obligatory t-shirt, waiting in line and gazing at alla the other various souvenirs about the store. Also, a nice collection of framed Rolling Stones album covers and replica tour posters, signed by the band. Amazingly I didn't take any pictures of those. You can buy litographs that look exactly the same. Maybe lurking somewhere else in the cafe was something more mind blowing... I then headed up to 48th St to see the former location of Manny's Music on Music Row. I knew it was bought out by Sam Ash but I still wanted to check out the building. Without the pictures on the wall, seemed like just another music store filled with cool instruments. That was the end of the musical part of my journey. I headed south to the National Museum of the American Indian then across the street to Battery Park and my first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. With the sun racing towards the horizon, it was time to jam back to Jersey. My next trip back to the big city, I wanna do a rock and roll tour of the place. You know, Electric Ladyland and alla that. 4 hours isn't enough time to cram in a lot but, I think I did alright.


Listened to "Toys in the Attic" (Aerosmith) today. Looking at my list, geez, my collection is so classic rock... but I got the stuff BEFORE it was classic! That's what makes it cool...

Albums listened to since last post; "Toys in the Attic" (Aerosmith). Total listened to: 4. To go: 681 (362 days)


No comments:

Post a Comment