Saturday, January 8, 2011

... and roll


With Keef still being a bit of a hot topic on the heels of his new book, "Life", I thought I'd whip out one of my Rolling Stones stories. In 1990, the job I worked at, had hired a temp. We got to talking about this and that, eventually music. Such a subject seldom excluded the mention of the Stones. One day, this temp guy comes in and says "I just made your day today" and shows me pictures from the Stones 1981 visit to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe (Phoenix), in which he had snuck in a camera. This was the same concert that made up a majority of their film "Let's Spend the Night Together" He had a shot from the back of the stadium and a couple pics from the opening bands (Joe Ely, George Thorogood), and a number of the main attraction themselves. He was right up front too. The idea was that I would take the pictures home, see which ones I wanted to make copies of (this was back before the whole home scanner/printer days), and bring them back to him. I had this picture blown into an 8" X 10" and made copies of several more. I brought the pictures back to work and found that he'd been let go. Well, crap. I had a message phone number for him and left several messages with who ever was answering the phone. Never heard from him again. Now, I'm really good at safely placing stuff into my "archives". Once I get something I think's worth keeping, it stays. So, chances are good that these pictures in my possession are probably safer than if he would've kept them (he did loan them out to a stranger). But, even being as fanatical about the Stones as I am, they still weren't mine. But, 20 years later, I can still look at them and share the story. I didn't make this concert (many of my friends did) as I didn't have the resources (money, transportation to and from Phoenix) to go. I had, however, got to see them 2 1/2 months earlier when I won (!) tickets to see them in Boulder, CO. Another story for another blog...




Albums listened to since last post; "Out of Our Heads", "Between the Buttons", "December's Children" (Rolling Stones), "Propaganda" (Various artists), "Super Sessions" (Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills). Total listened to: 13. To go: 672 (357 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment