Saturday, January 1, 2011

And the first album listened to this year is...


... also the first album I ever owned, "The Captain and Me", the 1973 album from the Doobie Brothers. As a nine year old still living back east, 'Long Train Running' totally captivated me. What a groove this song had (though I didn't realize at the time that was what was capturing my attention) and it rocked! That summer, the family headed west (or "to the moon" as I liked to put it). My birthday rolled around in September and this is what I wanted. Sears had all albums on sale for $3.33 (!). I bugged and bugged my father for this record. We may have gotten there the last day of the sale. But, damn it, I had my first record. And the whole family got to listen to that sucker at least once a day. The record is long since unplayable (I'm on copy #2) but I do still have the first record I ever owned, 37 years later...

I also got into the first two Aeromith albums today. While the first one tipped you off these guys were good, "Get Your Wings" brought the funk. They dropped down into a lowdown in da street groove with attitude. Right outta the gate, 'Same Old Song and Dance' and 'Lord of the Thighs' showed some serious teeth. Tight grooves, a bit of horns, a bit of snarl, and serious guitars. This was a whole 'nother ball game! All kindsa great stuff on there. The real hidden gem is 'Woman of the World'. I can't remember them really doing anything else like it. Man, this record sure does have my turntable excited... that needle's just jumpin' through side two...

Albums listed to since last post; "The Captain and Me" (Doobie Brothers), "Aerosmith", "Get Your Wings" (Aerosmith). Total listened to: 3. To go: 682 (364 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment