Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The beginning of a Jones...

When I tell the story of how I stumbled upon this incredible jones I have for music (a story I'm sure I'll be telling in my old age whether anyone is listening or not), it usually goes like this; "The first time I remember being hit with the lightning bolt was one night my Dad played the 45 of "Hello Goodbye" by the Beatles (especially the "Hey-la" part at the end). Then, it hit again when my Dad would flip over his 'Let It Bleed' album to side two and go through 6 odd minutes of joy to "Midnight Rambler". For my 10th birthday, I finally got my first album, the Doobie Brothers 'The Captain & Me' after relentless bugging of my Dad to get this at Sears for the sale price of $3.33." Now, what I don't tell people (and this may be the first public confession) is what was in between "Midnight Rambler" and the Doobies. Yes, folks, I was (closet door opens) a Monkees fan. I loved the goofiness of the show (I was, what, 6? 7?) and liked the songs. This led to me wanting to be in groups and alla the things kids dream about when they find something they're really into. Before we made the move west in the early 70's, between my Aunt and my cousins, I had aquired 'The Monkees', 'More of the Monkees' and 'The Monkees Headquarters'. The movers managed to lose the 'More' record but not the cover (I had two records crammed into the cover). These records continued to be treasured until I started my fascination of the Doobie Brothers. The Monkees quickly got shoved into my past, under the carpet and into the closet. Now, I bought far more embarrassing records during the 70's (which I don't plan on telling you about either) but, the Monkees were for little kids! And I left them there to stay. I winced at every movie that would play "I'm a Believer", and almost every other Monkees song or reference. Today's passing of Davy Jones made me think back to those early days and where this thing all began. Even though I couldn't bring myself to jump on the revival wagon with everyone who thinks it's cool to admit they like all kinds of hideous music and pop culture from the 60's and 70's (god, enough Journey already!), I do think it's cool that they did bring themselves from just acting and lip-synching to being full fledged musicians (which Mike Nesmith already was anyways) and becoming more than a kiddie fad. One song I will give them credit on though, is the one that ran over the end credits of each show, "For Pete's Sake", presented here, on this historical occasion. Groovin' on...

No comments:

Post a Comment